Relational Harmony


Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Orchestra

I don’t know which one is the brightest. The lamp she is lighting or the happiness in her eyes. I looked away as she turned her face to look at me. I had somehow managed not to make any eye contact with her through out the day, for I feared my eyes would betray my sadness. I ignored the stabbing pain in my chest at the thought of her leaving me, my house and my world. I could still hear the melody that her anklet made whenever she ran around the courtyard. Her laughter and the sound made by her bangles completed the orchestra. I remembered the time I had bought her bangles enough to cover her arms from the village fair. She had made it a point to wake me up from my siesta by clinking them right next to my ears. I smiled at these memories. I felt something soft on my shoulders.

Appa (father), I have to go now.
The tears did betray me this time. I hugged her and let my tears flow. She sobbed hard on my chest and I just held her. I whispered all the best wishes a father can wish for his daughter, all the happiness in the world and all the blessings I could think of. She looked up to me and smiled.
Appa, my tears mixed with mascara has left a stain on your clean white shirt.
I hope the stain is permanent.” I choked.
I’ll call you as soon as I reach San Jose, Appa.

I stood outside the gate till the dust raised by the car in which she left my home had settled and the clarity on the road restored. I dragged myself towards courtyard. I closed my eyes and I could see her performing her orchestra with – anklets, bangles and her laughter.


Posted by Sookie :: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 :: 5 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------